Friday, September 10, 2010

Housewife Biscotti

Unfortunately, I am not a housewife (yet)...but I can make biscotti!! I don't know about you all, but one of my many guilty pleasures is watching the Real Housewives reality show on Bravo. One of my absolute favorites are the Jersey Housewives. I'm not sure what it is about them exactly...maybe it's the accents, the drama, the bling...but regardless, one of these chicks really knows how to cook.


I may be Greek by birth, but most of my preferences fall closer to Italian backgrounds. For example, I don't like baklava but i'm in LOVE with cannolis. I don't like lamb but i DO love pasta of all shapes and sizes. Oh well, it is what it is. For those of you who also share my love for this reality series,you are no strangers to the name Teresa Giudice. She has a new book out called Skinny Italian. What more could I ask for?? A book full of authentic Italian recipes that are also very health conscious. This recipe for Double Chocolate Biscotti came from her book.

Ingredients:
3 large eggs (preferably at room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 oz chocolate chips of choice (get creative!!)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds

How To Make:
1. Place rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This makes for really easy clean up.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to blend eggs, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract.

Mix for about 3 minutes or until you have a pale, yellow mixture. 3. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together.


This is so light and mousse-like!! At this point, mix in your chocolate chips and almonds or walnuts (whichever you have).
4. Flour or spray your work surface. Transfer your dough to your work surface and knead until everything is well blended. Shape your dough into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.

OMG, I wish I could have eaten this raw...but I didn't for obvious reasons. Ok, now place the biscotti log in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Once the 30 minutes pass, remove biscotti log from the oven and let cool on a rack for another 30 minutes.

LOOK at that!!! So warm and crumbly. Love it!!! If only I didn't have to bake it again.


Now, cut your log on a diagonal so each biscotti is about a 1/2 inch thick.




Here is the challenge...NOT eating the biscotti yet (because you have to bake them one more time briefly)...but I'll let you in on a little secret: The ends of the biscotti are more than likely totally cooked...so go ahead, have yourself a little cheat snack.


Place individual biscotti back on baking sheet, lower oven to 325 degrees, and bake for another 8-10 minutes.

Then, something magical happened...I heard the most amazing sound in the world...it sounded like this..."Beep, Beep, Beep, Beep"...MY BISCOTTI!!!! They were finally finished. Perfect timing, because they go absolutely splendidly with a cappuccino or iced latte.
Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!