Thursday, September 30, 2010

Spicy Stuffed Peppers...

One of the MANY blogs I follow is this lovely gal over at http://canyoustayfordinner.com. Her recipes are SO delicious and very healthy. This recipe for stuffed peppers was just what I wanted for dinner tonight. Here is what you'll need for this EaSy recipe: For 2-4 people(depending on how much you eat)

-2 large red peppers or any other kind you prefer
-1/2 a red or white onion diced
-2 cloves of garlic minced
-Quality olive oil (http://www.laconiko.com/)
-2 small cans black beans (rinsed)
-1 small can sweet corn (rinsed)
-1/2 cup water
-2 tsp cumin
-2 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp salt
-small pinch Cayenne pepper
-Shredded cheddar cheese or colby jack
-Fresh cilantro, parsley, salsa, or sour cream (optional for garnish)

Let's get cookin'...

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil (for easier clean-up later). Wash your peppers and slice them length-wise. Place in oven and roast for about 25 minutes. The skins should be soft when you take them out.


2. While your peppers are roasting in the oven, place a few tablespoons Olive Oil in a large saucepan and bring to medium high heat. Add your diced onions and cook 3-5 minutes, or until they become soft and translucent.
3. Now it's time to make your kitchen smell HEA-VEN-LY!!! Add in your garlic and stir for 30 seconds or so...MmMm...gaaaarlic!! Also add in your black beans & 1/2 cup water. Stir well.
4. Place all your spices into saucepan. Look how beautiful all these different colors are. Trust me, the flavors are equally as amazing. Just wait!
5. Mix everything well, then cover and bring to a low simmer for about 30 minutes. Once finished, add in the corn and stir. I'm not going to lie...i did eat a few...ok SEVERAL spoonfuls of this stuff right out of the saucepan. And yes, I burned the You-Know-What out of my tongue in the process!!
6. All the hard work is done!! Now have a blast and stuff those peppers to the brim!!
7. Top with your favorite shredded cheese (I used Cheddar) and broil for about 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly...Is there anything better than bubbly cheese?!? Oh yes...wine! We will get to that later. You could have SO much fun with this recipe. You could cook up some ground turkey and add in kidney beans. Or cook up some ground chicken and mix in sauteed mushrooms and spinach. Get creative!!! I'd love to know your favorite way to stuff peppers. Send me suggestions!

What on earth could make this meal better?? The BEST wine i've had thus far. I recently went to the Great Grapes festival here and tried this a-MA-zing bottle of sweet dessert wine by Horton.


I don't even know where to begin. Ok, i'll do my best. Imagine a wine that is so smooth you'd think it was in the same family as butter...but not just any butter...butter that tastes ever so slightly like cocoa. GOOD cocoa. THAT is what this wine is like. I would have never thought white wine + chocolate would be a good pairing....but this is my third bottle in 3 weeks. HOLD UP- I share!! I didn't drink it all by myself, most though ;) HAHAHA. Do yourself a favor. Go to your local TotalWine or go to www.hortonwine.com as soon as humanly possible and order yourself a bottle of this. It's great in the afternoon, it's great in the evening...it's even great for dessert before bedtime. ZzZzZz....you get the point. Go get it. Now.

I've missed you all. Hope you are still reading this blog...xoxo-C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!