Saturday, July 3, 2010

Farmer's Market

Summer + Saturday = Farmers Market to me. They have ever since I was a little girl. I look back and very descriptively remember my Mom and I taking our baskets and going into town for the freshest local produce. Mid summer we would get homegrown tomatoes, green beans, zucchini & squash, the juiciest peaches you can imagine...late summer/early fall would fill our bags with delicious crisp apples.

We are so lucky here in the metropolitan area to have some of the most lovely farmers markets. Today I went with my Dad and picked up these lovely little items:


Fresh Green Beans

-My Mom and I sit down and pick all the beans out of these, then put everything in to a pot & make a traditional Greek meal out of it with tomato sauce and potatoes (will blog this recipe when we make it)

JUICY homegrown tomatoes


-I'm thinking we are going to use these for fresh tomato, feta, & oregano salads...or fill them with ground turkey, feta, and orzo & bake in the oven.

YELLOW grape tomatoes

-Are these not adorable?? And the smell is so earthy!! These little balls of sunshine are wonderful on their own as a snack, but I prefer to chop them up & use them for homemade bruschetta. Not only do they add a different taste when mixed with red cherry tomatoes, but they also add wonderful color.

Zucchini & Squash


-BEAUTIFUL!! They really are. I like to slice these thick, steam them, then top with delicious olive oil & lemon juice. Amazing side dish!

Flat-Leaf Parsley

-I could actually smell this as I went into the farmer's stand. And at only $1/bundle, I couldn't pass it up. Fresh herbs are unbeatable in recipes, no?!

HAPPY SATURDAY!!

xoxo, Christina


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!