Sunday, August 1, 2010

Moroccan Chicken & Coconut Rice

I may have gone missing, but I certainly was not starving. A few weekends ago, I travelled a few feet to the local farmer's market and picked up this lovely packet of seasoning:



It's a pre-blended mix of Cumin, Paprika, Sugar, Cinnamon, and Salt. The women who sold it to me recommended I season up some chicken or meat with this. She spoke, I listened. I placed about 12 chicken tenderloins in a plastic dish with olive oil & enough Moroccan rub to heavily coat each piece.

Mix with your hands until all chicken tenderloins are evenly coated...then place in a large ziplock bag with all the juices & refrigerate. You can either do this overnight or even for just a few hours will do the trick if you're making this the same day.

While this was marinating in the fridge, I got started on my coconut rice (thanks to Jessica at www.howsweeteats.com). First, put 1 cup water, 1/2 cup LITE coconut milk (from Trader Joes), and 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract in a saucepan + 1 cup arborio rice. Bring to a boil, then cover until the rice absorbs all the liquid. Depending on your stove top, this could take 20+ minutes.
In the meantime, chop 1/2 a red bell pepper and set aside with 1/3 cup shredded coconut. I used sweetened because that's what I had but any type would have worked. Once the rice absorbs all the liquid, remove from heat & mix in the coconut, red bell pepper, and a good helping of freshly ground pepper.
While the rice cooled, I heated up an indoor griddle for the chicken. It took about 5 minutes per side for the thin tenderloins to cook through.

I also used some farmers fresh zucchini squash, brought them to a gentle boil, and cooked for a few minutes until soft...then topped with fresh olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice for a lovely, healthy side dish. In case you haven't noticed, I must have at least one green vegetable with each meal.


All together now!!

Ahhhhhh....so good!!! Even my Dad...my very GREEK Dad loved this dish. He went back for a second plate which is how I know the food is good. The chicken had an amazingly savory bite while the rice was a sweet, smooth surprise.

You didn't think I forgot about dessert, did you?!? That would be considered a SIN in my book. While at the farmers market, I picked up some beauuuutiful peaches. Grilled bourbon peaches & Greek yogurt sounded perfect for a summer night.

First, I sliced the peaches...

Then, I brushed them with a little olive oil, plenty of bourbon, a pinch of brown sugar, and a hefty dose of cinnamon...

I then grilled them for about 5 minutes on each side (or just until the peaches are warm and have grill marks). Serve on top of Greek yogurt (I used Chobani) with a drizzle of honey... Yes, those are colorful kids bowls...what can I say!!

I really hope you all make some Moroccan chicken soon. You don't need this seasoning packet. Just combine the ingredients in a bowl and go for it!! It feels SO good to finally be back and posting. I have another VERY busy and stressful week ahead at the hospital but I promise you I will post something along the way...even something simple. Have a wonderful week, y'all.

xoxo, Christina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!