Monday, June 21, 2010

Lovely Leftovers...

If you know me, you know that I hate to waste food. I love (most) leftovers. A couple nights ago I posted about the delicious crabcakes my Mama & I made. When dinner time came around this evening I knew that's what I wanted to eat again. The only thing missing was the side dishes. Growing up, we always had 2-3 "sides"...so now I really can't eat a meal without them. On tonight's menu- Yellow cauliflower & some baked whole sweet potatoes (with some homemade butter my Mom whipped up yesterday)

How to:
1. First, scrub your sweet potatoes under running water. Pat dry with a paper towel.

2. Take a sharp knife and poke a few holes in each potato (this speeds up the cooking process) Then, individually wrap each sweet potato in a sheet of aluminum foil
3. Bake @ 375 for about 40-45 minutes (or until your fork easily pierces through the potato).

In the meantime...let's get our YELLOW cauliflower prepared.

First, chop off the big stem underneath the florets. Then break apart into bite-sized portions & wash under cold water.

Once most of the water has strained, put into a baking dish and add a good amount of Olive Oil, S&P, and a couple shakes of cayenne. WARNING- do NOT overdo the cayenne...it will come back to haunt you.



Bake this lovely dish of sunshine at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes (or until a fork gently pierces through the cauliflower). OPTIONAL- once you remove the dish from the oven, you could shave some Parmeggiano Reggiano cheese on top for an added twist. I am obsessed with this cheese. I get the 1/2 wheel from Costco on a monthly basis (Yes, I'm a pig. I eat the whole thing basically by myself).

Can you see that gooey melted cheesiness?! Never fails me.
So here was my completed leftover dinner concoction: a baked sweet potato (my FAV), my salmon cakes, and my cauliflower. MmMm.

AND a small glass of my leftover SaNgRiA since I didn't have to work...I've said it once & I'll say it again...watch out for the fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!