Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vegan Chocolatey HEA-VEN

I'm nowhere close to being vegan...but one look at this recipe I found on Alicia Silverstone's blog, The Kind Life, (yes, the same girl in "Clueless") and I was so anxious to put on my apron!!
Healthy Brownie Bites

Do you see that melted, gooey chocolate inside?!

Have you ever eaten one of those Lava cakes with the goo inside that oozes out when you stick a fork in? These are the much, much healthier version which taste identical.

What to do:

- Preheat your oven to 350F

-Spray your muffing pan with cooking spray. You can either make 8-10 regular sized muffins OR 16 mini muffins, which is what I did (they're mini...so I can eat more of them, right!?)

-In a small bowl, combine 1 cup UNsweetened applesauce + 1 tsp canola oil + 2 tsp vanilla extract

-In a large bowl, mix together 3/4 cup flour (I used part white, part buckwheat) + 1/3 cup UNsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 Tbsp instant coffee, and 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips (regular work also).

Once combined, mix small bowl contents into large bowl. This will form a Mousse-like texture. So airy and light!



Use a mini ice cream scoop to fill your muffin cups. Don't be shy, fill 'em up to the top!!!

If you're making mini muffins, bake them for exactly 10 minutes. You don't want to over bake these...we want to achieve that ooeygooey middle. For regular sized muffins, bake for 20 minutes.

Seriously, y'all...RUN, don't walk, to your kitchen and make these.

They are a perfect, delicious, guilt-free treat!! And did you notice there is NO sugar in them?!? If you like the bittersweet taste of dark chocolate you will LOVE these. If you bake these, come on back here and leave me a comment telling me how they turned out!!

xoxo, C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me your thoughts!!